Friday, April 27, 2007

My New Hero

I finished putting together a slideshow yesterday on this man, who suffers from Lou Gehrig's disease. It will run in the paper Sunday, but the slideshow is already online.

He can't speak or swallow, his limbs are slowly failing and with no cure "The Monster" ALS will eventually take his life. I asked him a few questions, trying to evoke responses about how hard, frustrating and maybe even hopeless the situation had become. Each time he would type down his response, and an electronic voice would tell me how positive he is, how he gets a kick out of people thinking he's deaf, and how he wishes everyone could be as lucky in life as him. It was so devastatingly inspiring.

I think the slideshow turned out well. I only spent a few hours with the man and his wife. I wish I had more time. But I like to think what I lack in substance I make up for in style.

Click here to view the slideshow.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

michael.. i'm so glad you were able to meet with this gentleman. your slideshow made me cry.

Robbie Hammer said...

Nice Michael, Nice.

Wes Putt said...

I remember working those photos and thinking, "God, I have to look at these again when I do the web." It was hard to swallow but very powerful. Excellent work, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit late here Michael but I'm only just catching up on your latest work. Solid as usual, really well done.