Sunday, June 21, 2009

Snooper Dooper

Oh, the Closet Snoop. You either love it or you hate it. Or, you love to hate it.

The weekly Sunday fashion feature generates the web hits, but also illicits the ire of some readers. Earlier this year as the paper began to shrink and sections and features were cut, I heard the same thing again and again from angry (usually older) readers. "How can you cut (blank) but keep that Closet Snoop!?"

I'll tell you why. Because it's fantastic!

Though they can sometimes be super stressfull and exhausting, they are also super fun to shoot. Get a good subject, some cool clothes and some great locations, and you've got gold. Plus, the photo above ran six columns across the page. Six columns! Where else in the paper am I gonna get that kind of play?



I'm no fashion photography expert, but every couple of weeks I get to pretend I am. It's great when I get a woman that likes to play along. None of the women selected are models, just real people that were nominated or asked to be considered because of their love of clothes.

It's such a creative challenge sometimes. Usually we arrive at these people's home or business with no advance knowledge of their clothes or what the location will look like. It's a scramble, and my mind runs a mile a minute as I run lights, rearrange furniture and do my best to give directions. I always leave exhausted. And if I'm lucky, I come away with some really cool images, too.



1 comment:

Marc F. Henning said...

don't sell yourself short Michael. i think you're doing one hell of a job with your fashion assignments. really nice stuff.