Saturday, March 22, 2008

Underage

She's only 14. Just a fair warning.

So this photo caused a minor stir in the newsroom today. I love it. It was exactly what I was looking for when I set out to get a final Spring Break weekend photo for the newspaper. Not to talk up my own superior photography skills, but just look at it. The color, the lines, the composition- it was all working for me.

What didn't work for some was her age. I can see that, and I think if it were running six columns on the front page of the paper I would probably question whether it was appropriate. But the Spring Break package was slated for the cover of the local section, and I wanted it to run big and in color on page 1B.

The girl's father was there when I took the picture. He was a little protective and interrogated me a bit when I first approached the pair. I normally don't let people see my photos in camera, but I shared the picture with the father just to be safe. He was OK with it. After a little discussion in the newsroom and a call to the managing editor, the photo was approved as the lead for 1B. Thoughts? I'd be interested in seeing what other people think.

With all the hubbub on the above photo, probably my favorite photo of the day was quietly edited out. It really doesn't scream Spring Break like the other ones I turned in did, so I didn't push for it to get in the paper tomorrow.

It made me smile as I shot it. I thought it made a nice little moment. I suppose there was something for all ages on Padre Island today.

3 comments:

Neemah said...

I think it is a great shot and as a photographer of course I'm going to say it should be published. But Texas is a conservative state in a conservative country, so it's not surprising that some may object to the content.
Love the perspective.

Anonymous said...

That photo was great, but I had to bring up the question to higher ups. You understand, though, so it's cool. BTW, I was going to use that other photo on my jump page or as secondary. But I ran out of room.

Ken said...

The only thing I would point out is that you felt the need to add the disclaimer at the top of the post. That makes me think that you knew how it may be looked at on first sight.