Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Texas Two Step

I love election nights.

When I worked in Arkansas my days off were Tuesday and Wednesday. When elections came around I always volunteered to work, but was always told I wasn't needed. Frown. So I haven't worked an election night since my first job in Cheyenne, Wyo., where I took pictures of the Sheriff's race winner and wrote a story about the hotly contested county assessor's race. Seriously, that county assessor's race gave me nightmares.

Well, for last night's Texas Primary I was assigned to hang out at the Barack Obama watch party, where very few people actually showed up to see results. The few that eventually came out were not too energetic once it became clear Obama was losing his lead in the Lone Star State. Tear.

All the action was out at the precinct meetings, which were held after voting was over to determine where a portion of the state's delegates would go. I briefly wandered over to one just to see what all the fuss was about.

Yee-haw. The place was packed. Apparently the hardest, most confusing part about the caucus-like gathering was having to do math. So of course many of the meeting took hours. Unfortunately I couldn't stay too long. I had to head back to Barack's watch party hide away.

Sitting in the dark, watching TV and eating. Looks like my Friday nights. Sigh.

No comments: