Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Volleyball

I really don't shoot much volleyball anymore, but last night I got the chance to cover one local high school team as it made its push for the playoffs. I was inspired to try and shoot this with the same eye I shoot every other non-sport event. My first game out this season didn't go so well. I was a bit out of practice, and spent all my time just trying to get a decent, in-focus photo. Well, last night I arrived extra early to give myself more breathing room to shoot some different, non-action photos. Once the game started, I unfortunately snapped back into panic sport-shooting mode. So here are a couple of images I like from before the game. I'm no Damian Mulinix, that's for sure, but I still like them.


While I was shooting a less-than exciting society event tonight, I was pulled aside by two different people who commented on the volleyball photos. The first women said she was excited to not only see her daughter in the paper, but to see all the extra photos that ran online. She mentioned one particular photo (above) that she really liked. I was surprised. All of these were photo I really just shot for myself. The only reason I crammed them into a photo gallery with my action photos was so that I could share them on my blog. I guess I didn't think the average reader would appreciate something other than the standard game action we always give them. It definitely encourages me to continue. It also made shooting the society event tonight a little more bearable. Just a little.

4 comments:

Marc F. Henning said...

way to work it Michael.

Melissa said...

you need to update your portfolio web site.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, thanks for the plug, I'm flattered to say the least. I like the first pic especially with the jerseys. Like Marc said, keep working it and looking for those great, unusual things about sports!
cheers,
-DKM

gba said...

interesting series..i like it..