Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mix and Mashup

It's a random coincidence that today I got by hands on two eagerly awaited publications featuring my photos. What better way to celebrate post No. 50?

First, I got a little treat in my mail box today in the form of the monthly News Photographer magazine, a publication of the National Press Photographers Association. It had the national monthly clip contest results for July 2005 (they run a little bit behind), where I placed third in the Spot News category for this car accident photo:

To my surprise, this photo has won a couple of awards, including a POYi Award of Excellence. Yeah, I was just as shocked. But for some reason seeing it in the magazine was a great thrill. Every month when I get the magazine the first thing I do is flip to the clip contest results. I look over the winning photos and sometimes think (with a bit of bitterness and envy), "I could have shot that." Now photographers around the country are looking down on my photo, second guessing my win and questioning my photography skills. It's fantastic.

Today I also got my advance copy of Year of the Dog, a book written by Prep Sports editor and friend Kurt Voigt. The cover and small photo section inside feature several of my photos. I didn't have any final say on what made the book and how the photos were used, so it was interesting to see what was chosen. This is my favorite photo that made it in the book:

The book is all about the highly touted Springdale High School football team's state championship run, and the swirl of media and recruiting attention some of the team's top players received, including Bartley Webb (above) and Mitch Mustain (right). I shot these kids a lot last year. As a result I've become a big Mitch fan. I read a few chapters before it was published, which were great. Now that I have it in hand I can't wait to finish it. And no, I'm not making any money off of the book. It's tragic.

Did I mention this is my 50th post? This requires a little party music. I've already decided for my 100th post I'm going to get a big cake with my blog name on it, just like when TV shows hit their 100th episode. Any excuse for cake, right?

First, a little Killers. I wasn't thrilled with their single "When You Were Young" when I first heard it, but I'm really digging master mixer Jacques Lu Cont's version of it. And just for fun, a random mashup that's been making the blog rounds, featuring Block Party's "Banquet" with the lyrics of Fergie's "Fergalicious." I think Fergie's songs are an awful mess, but Block Party's poppy beats are so strong they make this song very enjoyable.

When You Were Young.mp3 by The Killers (Jacques Lu Cont remix)
Blocalicious.mp3 by DJ Schmolli, featuring Bloc Party and Fergie

No comments: