Friday, December 29, 2006

Surprise, Suprise

Today I was actually shooting pretty well. I've felt like I've been in a slump the last few weeks, so no one was more surprised than me.

This is from a bus stop in Springdale. A lot of Hispanics in the area are from or have family in Mexico, and many of them shuttle back and forth across the border on the array of autobus services. Here a grandmother says goodbye to her granddaughter as she prepares for the long ride back to Monterrey. This was an assignment that fell through, but I liked it enough I lobbied for it to be a stand alone for the next day.

And a little portrait action with the new director of the Red Cross.

I actually kind of panicked when I got there. I arrived early to set up and scope out the place. But after several test shots around the building with a stand in I recruited, I didn't have anything I liked.

The building was pretty sparse too. Small offices, narrow hallways, and apparently the last director didn't let them hang or paint or do anything with the walls, so most of the building was pretty bare. After snagging a cross and a piece of wall art from someone's office, I turned their training room into a little photo studio. I really liked the results.

Now I'm in a pretty good mood today. To keep the happy vibes going, I'm giving you a little music off of Goldfrapp's Grammy-nominated album "Supernature." I've downloaded enough of the group's music off iTunes to feel comfortable recommending them, but I didn't actually have a full Goldfrapp album until this week. It's quite an experience. Very synthesized, almost futuristic pop. Imagine pop music in 2010 from the perspective of someone living in the early '80s, and you'll get an idea of Supernature's sound. Including the previously blogged lead single, "Ooh La La," there are some really cool tracks. Here are a couple of my favorites so far:

Satin Chic.mp3

Beautiful.mp3

No comments: