Monday, May 07, 2007

Band-O-Rama

Today's assignment put my motivation for being a photojournalist to the test.

After my first year of college I was on the fence about my future. I had gone into J-school dead set on being a top reporter. I had excelled at my beginning reporting class, and I was getting ready to start my first semester as a writer for the college newspaper.

Then I went to Band-O-Rama.

Well, let's be honest. It wasn't the only factor. I had also just finished my required photojournalism class all reporters had to take, and I loved it. There was something freeing and wonderful about photography, and I suppose I wasn't horrible behind the camera.

Cut to Band-O-Rama, the annual end-of-year concert held at my former high school. I had performed in the event every year when I was in band, and now I was attending as a spectator to hear my younger brother play. It was the typical high school band event until Todd Yates walked in.

Yates was a photographer for the local paper, and for some reason he grabbed my attention. The entire time he was there I just watched him as he worked the event. I could see some of his shots and angles in my head, and watching him compose them in front of me was captivating. I keep elbowing my sister, "look what he's shooting now," or "that's such a great angle." I'm sure my sister thought I was nuts.

As I walked back to the car with my family, I though to myself, "Even if I end up shooting some local high school band-o-rama the rest of my life, as long as I was taking photos I think I would be happy." Looking back on it now it was a completely naive and idealist thought, but when I got back to the car I announced to my family I was changing my major. I'm sure they thought I was crazy.

So here I am, almost 9 years later, covering a local high school's equivalent of band-o-rama. Since I started at this paper I always seem to get this assignment, and that's OK by me. Because with all that's wrong with the newspaper business and how much I complain about my job, overall I am happy taking photos. It's nice to be reminded of that every once and a while.




1 comment:

Philip Wartena said...

If it wasn't for Yates I'd be writing today too! haha, no, but, the PhotoJ field is definitly happy you switched over. Your community is better off as well.