Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ballet Position

I realized two things when I saw William Moore's ballet photo on his blog. 1) I have ballet photos from last weekend I forgot to post, and 2) Will's ballet photo is so much better than mine. But, hey, having inferior photos has never kept me from posting before.
I shot these backstage at a Dancing in the Park event in downtown Corpus Christi as the performers were getting ready. It was a held in an outdoor amphitheater, so backstage was outside next to the bathrooms and under a tiny little tent.
The only snag I had was when I was shooting these two dancers as they were warming up. I was shooting them mostly against a clean wall, but when the ballet director walked by she freaked out. Don't take pictures of the dancers in front of the bathrooms, she said. Position them in front of the bay if you want a good photo, she insisted, but don't run a photo of them in front of the toilets. So of course once she left, I became obsessed with shooting awkward photos of dancers and surprised audience members scurrying to the bathrooms. I know there was a killer photo to be had from it, but I never hit that great position.
The one above, with the man watching just after emerging from the bathroom, ran as a secondary inside. I just might be banned from future ballet events.


And what's dancers without a little music? A coworker and fellow music nerd recommended this CD to me, and I am quite intrigued. It is from British artist Patrick Wolf. I really don't know much about the guy yet, but I know I like his music. That's enough for me.

The Magic Position.mp3 by Patrick Wolf
Augustine.mp3 by Patrick Wolf

2 comments:

Melissa said...

you crack me up

moorewillphoto said...

Hahaha! I love the expression on the face of the very Texas-looking guy!