Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fright Night

One of the reasons I left the Natural State in search of greener pastures was to create more web and multimedia content. Last week I decided it was probably about time I started doing what I came here to do. So I swiped a video camera from our web department and ventured over to a local haunted house.



About 5 minutes after I arrived at the haunted house, I started having second thoughts about this whole video thing. It was so dark, I had no idea how to really use the video camera and I felt kind of lost without my Nikon and Domke bag around my shoulder. About 5 seconds into the editing process I decided I'd made a horrible mistake and never wanted to do video again. Adobe Premiere is definitely not as user friendly as iMovie.

In the end, though, I was happy with the final product. It definitely tells the story better than I could have with a still camera alone, and it was a bit of a thrill when I finally saw it on our newspaper's web site. I think I'll definitely give this video thing another try.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

did you wear ear plugs?

Z-Man said...

Love the warning before the film. I wish you could have had less interview and more haunted house. At first I thought it was going to play like a trailer for a scary movie. Why weren't you doing this when you worked for us? Yeah, I know why.
Good Work!

Michael said...

A trailer? That actually would have been a really cool idea. Why weren't you giving me these suggestions before?

It probably could have used a little more haunted house, but I figured there was only so much black, strobey, screamy footage you could watch before you just clicked off. Plus, they only wanted me to shoot in one room. Plus, I was scared of being inappropriately groped, a fear I developed after my last haunted house experience with the Z-Man.

Lady Robin M said...

good job! that's as close to a haunted house as i will get today...