Saturday, October 06, 2007

Pipe Play

I've had A1 play before, but today I was particularly excited about dominating the front page. I put together a story on a group of local bagpipers, which ended up being a completely different story then I first intended. I ran into these guys at Hector P. Garcia Day last month, and was all excited about doing a little slideshow about the father/son firefighters that play bagpipes together. The story shifted to more about the band and the audio shifted to more about the pipe major. Then finally the news angle came out when I realized these guys were heading to Maryland this weekend to play in a firefighters memorial, where a local paramedic was among the firefighters being honored. So the little project I planned on spending some time on got shifted into high gear and turned into a Saturday play package, complete with a 30+ inch story and an audio slideshow (By the way "play" is how they refer to their centerpiece packages or dominant photos around here. If something is "local play," it means it will be the main photo on the local section. Phrases like 'we're looking for some local play,' and 'the game you're shooting will likely be play' still sound kind of odd to me, but I'm trying to get used to it.







And don't forget to check out the audio slideshow I put together. I thought it turned out nice, and after the hours of audio editing I will probably have bagpipe music stuck in my head for days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What's the local play this week?"

"Father and son...bag pipers"

"Niiiiiccce."

It all sounds so seedy! I love it!

Also...looks awesome. :)

Ken said...

nice slideshow too.

Nathan Allen said...

Hell of a job, Michael. That's a pretty cool story about guys loving to play that stuff, I enjoyed the slideshow. Makes me think of the good ol' days when you were putting together kickass slideshows for The Morning News.

... Oh, those were the good ol' days.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Way cool.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Thank you for your time and effort putting everything together for the band. When the article showed up on the front page of the paper we were in Emmetsburg practicing for the memorial. We were all anticipating getting to a computer so we could check out your work. It turned out really well did focus on the whole band which I thank you for. You do great work and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the paper.

Dan Sheppard