Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hector P. Garcia Day

It's not really a surprise to me, but apparently there is a lot I don't know about Hispanic History in Texas. But in his home town of Corpus Christi, Texas, Dr. Hector P. Garcia is a big deal.
The late Mexican-American civil rights leaders was celebrated today in the first state-wide Dr. Hector P. Garcia Holiday. From what I gathered, Garcia lead the way for Mexican American veterans, and was a big advocate for Hispanics and education. These were from a local elementary school's assembly. Photo wise, that meant tons of color and cute kids wearing little paper G.I. hats.
And I just loved this guy. Johnny Canales, the flashy Tejano star of the Spanish-language "Johnny Canales Show," hosted a banquet for the American G.I. Forum. I wanted to get photos of the guy before the event stated, but when I lifted my camera to take a photo he declined. "Wait til I put on my jacket," he said. I was a little turned off, until I saw the jacket. Best jacket ever.

5 comments:

Marc F. Henning said...

dude, you gotta get yourself one of those jackets. i've already seen you in a cowboy hat. you'd look awesome and sparkly....like a cowboy pinata.

Ken said...

Beautiful shot of the row of girls. Cool hat on the top photo.

Melissa said...

ACL photos?

Z-Man said...

Great lead photo. Why didnt you shoot like that in Springdale? Just kidding, I know no-one shoots like that in Springdale.

Neemah said...

Really like row of girls shot.