Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fall of 69

I had to hear all about the University of Arkansas' fabled 1964 National Championship during my stint in Fayetteville, which often came with a sufficient amount of Texas bashing. Well today, I finally got to hear a different national championship story.

Former University of Texas quarterback James Street was speaking at a fundraising event in Corpus Christi, where he talked all about the Longhorn's 1969 national championship and their stomping of Arkansas. They played highlights from the game, accompanied by an old-fashioned announcer and newsreel music. Here were some of the quotes I found entertaining:

"Arkansas takes the lead as the Porkers go for their 16th straight victory."

Texas gets some key blocks, and James Street "waltzes 42 yards to score."

And when Texas closed out the game the announcer proclaimed "The Arkansas dream is shattered and Texas wins!"

I kind of expected the room to burst in applause, mostly because that would have been the response if I was watching 1964 highlights back in Arkansas. But the room was silent. In the lobby I was talking with a woman who has family in Arkansas. She seemed pretty neutral when it came to sports, but she didn't hesitate to say that Arkansas fans were much more crazy about football then any Texas fan. I'm definitely starting to get that impression.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Speaking for myself, I'd rather be a fan of football in Scotland than in the U.S.A.

=)