Wednesday, September 12, 2007

High Society

OK, so the new job is great and all, but there is one aspect that I'll admit I'm less than thrilled about. Society events. I didn't have to shoot them at my last newspaper, so it's a bit new and weird to me.

It's not that I mind going to these events, but I feel kinda dirty taking "party pics" and shooting the grip and grins they want for the society section. But I do always enjoy shooting famous people.

Above is Texas Tech basketball coach Bobby Knight, standing near palm trees that I am still fascinated by and include in just about every outdoor photo I take. Below, legendary NASCAR driver Terry Labonte. I didn't really know who he was until today. They showed me an archive photo of him before I left. In the photo he had a mustache, so naturally I didn't recognize him and had to have someone point him out once I got to the party. I'll never make it as a paparazzi, apparently.

And Ronald McDonald totally ruined my photo. I saw this shot about to happen and rushed into position. Unfortunately as soon as I lifted my camera, Ronald went from sitting like a normal human being, to putting his feet up on the table and staring right at me. As if that wasn't enough, he refused to break character when I went to get the clown's name. After a series of questions that went no where I finally asked if he was from around here.

"No, they flew me in especially for this," he said excitedly. From where, I inquired, thinking he was finally going to give me a real answer. Ronald paused, then said very matter-of-factly "McDonanldland, of course." A mischievous smile beamed from his face. I give up, I thought, and walked away.

9 comments:

Marc F. Henning said...

dude, he's from McDonaldland. duh! don't you remember the saturday morning commercial's between cartoons (of course i'm referring to the late 70's and early 80's.. possibly before your time)? you know grimace, the hamburgler, mayor mccheese, the fry guys...they sang songs, danced around.....mmmmmm McDonalds. (drooling)

Melissa said...

michael, did you sell your soul?

Neemah said...

you should of asked Ronald if he wanted to give a quote on how he felt about contributing to the type 2 diabetes epidemic going on in American children.

Melissa said...

oh snap!

Wes Putt said...

I'd have said, "You're gonna die, clown!"

(Happy Gilmore)

moorewillphoto said...

For some reason, I get angry when people see me with a camera and try to pose. It's insulting. I know they don't know that it is and are just trying to be helpful, but I still hate it.

Mark M. Hancock said...

A belated welcome to Texas. :-)

The Ronald character gets fired (and possibly sued) if he breaks character. I couldn't find it online quickly, but I recall one of the Ronnies got arrested and actually stayed in jail because he refused to break character.

Robbie Hammer said...

Ronald McDonald AND rich people parties..I'm jealous Michael.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Would he have answered McDonalds-based questions, such as: why is it every time I ask for no onions, my sandwich is covered with onions?

Who is more frightening, Ronald McDonald or The King?