Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dolly Disappoints

All is well in Corpus Christi, Texas. Besides that little hurricane that landed about 130 miles down the coast, it was just another day at the office.

I bought some rubber rain boots yesterday, which came in handy for a few photos like the one above, but mostly I just felt awkward walking around in them. I was soaked by the end of the day, but at least my feet were dry.

We missed a direct hit from hurricane Dolly (thankfully?). It rained on and off all day as each squall from the hurricane's outer bands past over the area. There was some flooding in the usual spots and a lot of wind, but that was about it. No heavy damage reported in the area like there was down in Brownsville or Harlingen. I sort of stuck to the downtown area so I wouldn't overlap with the other photographers shooting in other parts of town.

It was pretty much a day of hunting for rain features. I was a little disappointed in how I shot today, but I think it was good practice if the real thing ever comes our way.

4 comments:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

"I was a little disappointed in how I shot today ..."

I know the feeling. During the flood a month ago I put so much pressure on myself to get powerful images that I ended up missing a lot of what would have been great moments.

I'm sorry to hear that Dolly fizzled out. I was excited for you. Oh well, it's still July. Hurricane season hasn't officially begun yet. In the sports world, this is just pre-season.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

BTW, Great stuff on the Yahoo! photo site.

Mark M. Hancock said...

Nobody in Corpus was killed. There's the important issue.

Michael said...

Very true, Mark.

That's exactly how I felt Bryon. I didn't shoot that bad, just not as good as I thought I should have given what I had to work with. Oh well. At least we all made it through safe and sound.