Monday, July 21, 2008

Hello, Dolly

It's funny how quickly things can shift. I moved into a new place and had nothing but moving trucks, heavy boxes and decorating ideas on my mind all weekend. So I was a little caught off guard when I walked into the newsroom and people were buzzing about Dolly. I really should have picked up a paper or watched the news at some point this weekend.



As I walked to my desk, one of the other photographers asked if I was ready for a hurricane. My mind had a hard time processing as she went on to list all the items I should have in my car in case the tropical storm in the Gulf strengthens and swings our way. When she was done, all I could think to say was, "I really hope this doesn't delay getting the DSL set up at my new place."

I was soon sent out to get pictures of people preparing. As I drove away from the office, the reality of what could potentially happen over the next few days set in.

And I got very excited. I was also very anxious.




Back in May, everyone was sent a letter about volunteering to work the hurricane and given a copy of the company's Hurricane Preparedness Plan. They don't force anyone to work a hurricane. Once a solid threat heads this way the paper goes to an all volunteer staff. I wasted no time reading, signing and returning that letter. Why wouldn't I? Besides the potential for some awesome photos, you get hurricane pay AND you get to camp out at the office during the storm. Sounds like a blast! Now we just wait to see if anything actually happens.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

jealous.

Mark M. Hancock said...

I just hope nobody gets hurt.

Bryon Houlgrave said...

Can I volunteer too?

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hope you're not going with AT&T again for your DSL. I just got off the phone with them and it took half an hour for them to troubleshoot my internet.

I NEVER had this problem with cable!

...

Also I hope you don't die in the storm!

Marc F. Henning said...

all you need is a canoe Michael and you're set. :-)

be safe. take tons of photo. watch out for flying debris. and most importantly, keep your gear clean.