Tuesday, July 01, 2008

High Fashion

Hooray for trampolines!

I shot a Closet Snoop, our weekly fashion feature, a couple of weeks ago. On Sunday it finally ran. I don't shoot a whole lot of these, unfortunately, but I really enjoy them.

This was the first time I shot one in the studio. Usually we shoot these at people's homes or businesses or some other predetermined location. It's sometimes a nightmare, but it gives me so many more elements and backgrounds to play with. The studio presented a new challenge. I shot the one above on the roof of our downtown newspaper building. Thankfully the girl was very open to the idea. When I first brought out the trampoline in the studio, she said "I love jumping on trampolines." Yes!

I will say, though, shooting someone on a trampoline was a little harder than I thought. Frame after frame there was always something a little off: I'd cut off a limb, her hair was in her face, he body was positioned awkwardly, the light was hitting her wrong. It was a challenge.

I like the way this one turned out as well. I sometimes have a hard time explaining to the subjects what I want them to do. They aren't models, they are just regular people in the community who agree to model their favorite clothes. Sometimes the only way to get my subjects in the positions I want, I have to put down the camera and strike the pose myself.

So now imagine me on that cube. Yeah, she busted out laughing too, but then she totally nailed it.

We usually shoot these a couple of weeks in advance, and by the time they run I usually forget to share them on the blog. So here are a couple of shots I like from the last few Closet Snoops I did.






Not quite the pages of Vanity Fair, but I like them. Sears catalog, here I come!

No comments: