Friday, November 10, 2006

Almost There

The other day I was assigned to shoot a picture of kids at the park for a story. It was actually a nice autumn day. Leaves falling, great afternoon light, and when I walked into the park I thought, "there is a fantastic photo to be had here today." This is as close as I got to fantastic yesterday.

And here I was just trying to get something different from Friday night football. I love the big Mountie head.

By the way, it's almost here! The new Damien Rice CD comes out Tuesday, and I am more excited than I can say. If I were on top of things, I would have mentioned this nine days out since his CD is called "9." It is the second album from the Irish alt-folk singer. His first CD, "O," was a work of brilliance. Already I'm hearing his new CD isn't as good or focused as the first, but that isn't going to stop me from buying it Tuesday. If you are unfamiliar with Damien Rice or just need a fix until Tuesday, here are few songs to help you out.

Delicate.mp3 from the CD "O"
I think this song is just about perfect. Songs like Volcano (the lead single), Cannonball and The Blowers Daughter (featured in the movie "Closer") got so much more attention off of his debut album, but for me it's all about Delicate. One of my absolute favorite songs ever.

Unplayed Piano.mp3 available on iTunes
This was a benefit single he put out last year calling for the freedom of Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi (those musicians and their random causes). It's actually an interesting story and a pretty good song as well.

9 Crimes.mp3 from the forthcoming CD "9"
A sampling of what's to come, this is the first song from his new CD. Lisa Hannigan, who joins Rice on many of his songs, leads off this track.

No comments: