Friday, November 17, 2006

Becoming An American

I loved this assignment.

I've never been to a naturalization ceremony. I expected it to be boring, and it kind of was, but what made it for me was how excited some of these people were to become U.S. citizens. I particularly liked the old Mexican men. They had this proud, respectable kind of vibe, and they were so pleased with themselves for what they had accomplished. They kind of reminded me of my dad, or how I like to think about my dad, at least.

( Creepy )

The actual swearing in/oath was kind of boring. Or I just shot it badly. Before the ceremony I scoped out this French woman on the left. She seemed to be really thrilled beforehand, excitedly conversing with a family member seated across the aisle to her left. She wasn't as excited when the oath came around, but I was already slightly enamored with her by then so I shot her from every angle anyway.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I keep hearing the line from Austin Powers 'one million dollars' when I look at the 'creepy' photo of Pres. Bush.

Ken said...

I shot one of these while I was still in Ohio. We focused in on a local for most of the event and I grabbed some other shots just to layer the coverage a little. Overall it is impressive to see the passion these folks have for a country that we were all lucky enough to be born in.

My gallery is still on my old paper's site at:
http://lancastereaglegazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BD&Dato=20050429&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=429001&Ref=PH

Ken