Sunday, November 05, 2006

Politics And The Like

It was an odd day today. I ended up going from one end of the political spectrum to the other.

I started out covering this peace rally, where demonstrators were calling for the end to the war and encouraging people to go and vote the Republicans out of congress.

I have to say, I had some very preconceived ideas of what I was going to see when I got there. I expected a bunch of aging hippies and idealistic college weirdos with too much time on their hands.

And there was some of that there, but when I arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find out this guy was in charge. He was really nice, spoke articulately and he wore a tie. Yes, he was young and idealistic, which was slightly annoying, but he was much more normal than I expected him to be. It was kind of refreshing.

Then I went to the a Republican rally, where candidates had no problem embracing the current administration. This was the last stop on a local congressman's bus tour. When the reporter and I got to the site there was hardly anybody there. Then the bus rolled in, complete with its own entourage of supporters. All of sudden the place was full and everyone was screaming and cheering. It was kind of bizarre and amusing.

No comments: