Thursday, July 12, 2007

Opera and Wine

A week without a blog post? Can't have that...

Welcome to Opera in the Ozarks, a summer series of performances featuring students and aspiring professionals from across the country. What started out as filler photos and a short story turned into a full Sunday photo page and a little online slideshow.

This is my favorite photo of the day. In fact, it may be my favorite in several weeks. Here a performer takes a text message on his phone while he goes over the song book backstage before the performance. I'm standing on a chair beside him trying not to drop my camera as it dangles over his head.

And I thought this was cool. A big red barn, a cello player and a little fill flash equals photo gold.





If you are so inclined, you can see the slideshow below. I spent way too much time putting it together, yet I still may tweak it some more before we put it on our newspaper's website tomorrow.



And now a little wine. Folk/rock singer Sam Beam, who performs as "Iron and Wine," has had me wallowing in melancholy goodness all week. Iron and Wine has a new CD called "Shepherd's Dog," coming out in late September. If this CD is anything like the previous one, I will be in a full on depression by October. I can't wait.

Boy With A Coin.mp3
by Iron and Wine
Cinder and Smoke.mp3 by Iron and Wine, from the 2004 CD "Our Endless Summer Days"

3 comments:

Wes Putt said...

the boy in the wig/lipstick shot is so light-feeling that I can almost hear music. very nicely done.

Wes Putt said...

now that you've added the slideshow, I'd have to say I liked the flute focus shift part a lot.

Anonymous said...

Michael -- thank you! As well as being a great photo that shot of the texting musician has given me an idea for tonight's Harry Potter launch.