Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Dairy Farmer

A couple of photos from out on the farm this morning. I was slightly enamored with this little kid. He was so into the whole dairy farming thing and had the funniest little southern accent. He lives on the family's dairy farm, and unlike his older brother, he's already decided he wants to take over the family business. He's 11 years old and he's already decided what he wants to do for the rest of his life.


The morning had an uneasy ending though. When the mom on the farm asked me when the story was running, I checked my assignment and read the date: August 19. That also happens to be the day I will leave Fayetteville, maybe forever. For those you don't know, I have taken a job at the Caller-Times in Corpus Christi, Texas. Sure I'm excited, but I'm also nervous. Leaving the place that has become my home over the last four years was a tough decision, which I really haven't had time to think about in the last few weeks.

But today it hit me. Everything is about to change.

Cue the sweeping music with melancholic undertones...

Drifters.mp3 by Patrick Watson
Luscious Life.mp3 by Patrick Watson


(FYI: I had a mini-obsession with Patrick Watson for a few weeks. Then I actually bought the album and I realized I wasn't so crazy about Patrick Watson. The indie Canadian crooner's CD came out last September up north, but has yet to be released in the U.S. It's got several good songs, I suppose. If I listen to the whole CD, though, the feelings of forlornness make me want to shoot myself in the face.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I really dig your blog. I work for a group of small community weekly newspapers outside of Washington, DC, and I end up shooting a lot of similar assignments. Check out my blog when you get a chance. The Harry Potter photos rocked, and I thought I was completely sick of HP photos.
-Chris
http://lifeisshorttakepictures.blogspot.com/

Ken said...

Good luck on the move.

Ken

Tracie Faust said...

NW Arkansas is going to be losing some serious talent and a bit of a fresh perspective...good thoughts to you on your move!

Wes Putt said...

*tear

Melissa said...

i'm feeling vaclempt