Sunday, August 13, 2006

Can I Get A Hallelujah?



I'm always surprised when I run into someone that's heard of Lake Jackson, Texas. Not that it's a terribly small town or anything: It's home to the largest Dow Chemical plant in the U.S. and the childhood home of slain Tejano singing sensation Selena. But despite those illustrious claims to fame, people rarely seem to know where exactly my hometown is.

So I was quite shocked a few days ago when I ran into this guy. He's a preacher who just moved to Arkansas to start a new Spanish ministry at a local Presbyterian church. We started talking, and as it turns out, he's not only been to Lake Jackson, he lived there for a year and his second son was born there in 1991. (He seemed proud of the fact that his son was born in the same hospital as Selena. I didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure the hospital in LJ in 1991 didn't exist when Selena was born. Besides, everyone knows St. Selena was delivered by Mexican angels under a heavenly mariachi band, not in a hospital)

I contemplated putting a Selena song with today's post. It seemed to make sense until I realized I don't really like or own any of her music. Instead, I'm working the religious angle of today's musings and giving you a little "Hallelujah," courtesy of the reigning British synth-pop queen Imogen Heap. I know, its just like Selena, right?

Listen Here

No comments: