Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Forget The Butterflies



Butterflies are nice and all, but kids obviously prefer worms.

I was on assignment shooting a butterfly program at a local museum, and I got a little insight into the mind of a child. Why just sit outside a glass tank watching a bunch of trapped flying insects when in the next tank over you can stick your hands in and poke a caterpillar into submission?

But what the worm tank really had going for it was this mom and daughter. Forget the fact that the assignment was about butterflies (I obviously did), I couldn't get over their expressions and the interaction between these two. Sometimes they spoke in English, often they spoke in what I assumed was Chinese. And every once in a while one of them would laugh or smile and their faces would just light up.

Those butterflies didn't have a chance with me.

No comments: