Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Party Ben Rules



Today I spent most of my day-off scowering the internet for my new musical obsession: Mashups! They've apparently been around for a while, but are gaining in popularity (and by gaining in popularity, all I mean is I now know about them). Also called "bastard pop," mashups combines music from one (or more) song(s) with the voice tracks of another. They can get a bit over the top sometimes. For me the best ones still sound like one complete song, just re-invented.

In my efforts to try and imitate all the hip musical blogs I read, I'm posting a couple of cool mashups I found. I think its no accident my favorite ones were all put together by one guy, Party Ben. He's my new musical hero.

So here we go:
1) "I Feel Crazy" by Party Ben
Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" vs Donna Summer's "I Feel Love"
- This summer's sleeper hit feels right at home on top of the disco beats of Donna Summer.

2) "Hung Up On Soul" by Party Ben
Death Cab's "Soul Meets Body" vs Madonna's "Hung Up"
- I am absolutely obsessed with this song. I've always thought the Death Cab CD was great, but for some reason or another it never got much play from me.

3) "Boulevard of Broken Songs" by Party Ben
Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" vs Oasis' "Wonderwall," vs Travis' "Writing to Reach You" with a bit of Eminem's "Sing (For the Moment)"
- Though it looks like a mess, its a Party Ben classic. Its also the first mashup I heard several months ago before I knew what mashups were.

For more on Party Ben, click here.
To purchase any of the original music, click here.

No comments: