Monday, August 28, 2006

So Long Summer

The kiddies are back in school, fall football is in full swing and the unofficial end of summer will culminate with this Labor Day weekend's debauchery.

As a so-long to the season, I'm taking a look back at the music that defined summer 2006 for me. Not all of this came out in the last three months. Most of these artists I discovered through other blogs. Each made an impact on my summer listening. Now I pass the savings onto you:

8) A Nod On Hold by Ms John Soda - So for a little while at the start of the summer, I thought I was way into German synth-pop. No, really. As it turns out the bands I was into- Ms John Soda, Lali Puna, The Notwist- are all pretty much started/led/influenced by one or both of the Acher brothers, Micha and Markus. So I guess I'm more an Acher brothers fan. They're a bit weird. But as this track shows, their rigid synth tunes can also be quite beautiful.

7) Vienna by The Fray - The first song I heard from this band was "Hundred" on some random blog. Loved it. Great song. When I finally made the connection that they were the same band spewing on the radio with "Over My Head," I went out and bought the CD. While the entire CD is good (it's hard to miss when all the songs sound just like their radio hit), Vienna kind of stood out for me. It was moody, a little sad and who doesn't love a little falsetto?

6) Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado - I don't listen to the radio all that much when I'm really into a CD. But on a summer excursion to Tampa I was without my music and had to listen to the radio during my trips around town. While I was inundated with a lot of bad music (Paris Hilton's song came out right at that point, why I didn't run screaming from radio all together I'm still not sure), a few wormed their way into my head. With this song, its the ending that got me. When Ms Furtado hums along with the melody and that back beat kicks, I can't resist.

5) Move Along by All American Rejects- Another song picked up in Tampa. I liked their video for their last song, "Dirty Little Secrets," but never thought much more about them. This anthemy song eventually got stuck in my head, and is now one of my favorite tracks to run with on the treadmill.

4) Sovay by Andrew Bird - An absolutely beautiful song and a great CD. I first heard his "Fake Palindromes" on some random blog. When I finally got around to getting his CD I just fell in love with this track. This was also the song I was listening to as I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge for the first time this summer (I promise I really don't do that much vacationing).

3) Map of the Problematique by Muse - If you don't have this CD, "Black Holes and Revelations," run and get it now. It is fantastic. Its a little heavier rock than I normally listen too, but its so good. I first heard of these guys when they replaced Damien Rice on the Austin City Limits music festival line up. At first I was pissed Damien was replaced by some band I've never heard of. Now I'm so glad I checked them out. The first song on the CD blew me away, and it just gets better as the CD goes on. This track has a very Depeche Mode vibe but not in a depressing, whinny way. It rocks.

2) Concerning The UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois by Sufjan Stevens - For me, this summer was all about Sufjan Stevens. I heard his "This Land" song on a random blog and was intrigued. I didn't really want to get his current CD with leftovers songs from his "Illinoise" CD, so I went straight for the "Illinoise" CD. It's great. And this song, the first track, is just gorgeous.

1) The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! by Sufjan Stevens - Since it's all about Sufjan, another Sufjan track. I just can't get enough of this one. I've also been working on a photo project the last half of the summer, and this song has become its unofficial theme song. Its brilliant.

No comments: