Friday, August 25, 2006

Fade to Background

As a photographer, you try to make your subjects feel comfortable around you. You want your subjects to be natural. You want to fade into the background.

This isn't fading into the background.

I've been working on this photo project for a little while where I've had to follow around a local family a few times a week. When I arrived at this function they were at tonight, I saw one of the kids in the family hanging out at the front of the room. He was framed by this huge U.S. flag painted on the back wall, and I thought it would make a great shot. I was focusing in on him and waiting for the background to clear a little when the kid eventually noticed me. That's when he gave me this huge wave and ran up to me.

Although he ruined my photo, I thought it was kind of funny. For weeks he had been kind of shy and quiet around me. Clearly that's changed. At least I know he finally feels comfortable around me.

No comments: