Monday, January 22, 2007

Behind The Scenes (Now With Slideshow Goodness)

I'll admit, I felt a little uncomfortable shooting some of these images. I was taking pictures backstage at a Miss University of Arkansas pageant over the weekend, and I think I got some pretty stand-out stuff.

I know it's hard to miss with pretty girls in bathing suits, but beyond that I like the lines and the framing of these photos. The top one is somewhat risque for a family newspaper, but I love the look and feel of the moment as they are getting ready backstage. Even though it is half naked girls, I still think there is respect for the subject.

For the most part I think I felt more awkward being backstage then the girls did. Probably because they knew I was out numbered.


This girl was my absolute favorite. She was totally at ease around me, and she gave me so many good images backstage. She went on to win the competition.

I took tons of images and even collected a little audio. I've really wanted to get back to making audio slide shows, so I thought this would be as good as anything to pick it back up. I was shooting this for one of our weekly Sunday sections, so I have a little time before they run to put together a little slide show. I'll throw a link for it on my blog once it is done.

01/26 UPDATE:
It won't be promoed in our paper until the package runs Sunday, but the slideshow link is now live and online, for anyone who cares. Click here to see it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics !!! :) Very nice !

Anonymous said...

Dirty... Not really... I like the lines in the photos too.

Andrew Smith said...

Hi Michael,

I think pics #3 and #4 are stronger than the first two, especially #3 which is creative, unusual, and makes me wonder what she's thinking about, whereas #4 is a more traditional shot, although very well executed.

I do like #1 although I think it needs something else to give it more of a kick, maybe even just a touch of flash with the background under-exposed. I realise though that you would have barely had time to focus, nevermind think about lighting!

And being totally blunt and honest, I think #2 looks like the sort of textbook shot we do because we've seen it done before and we liked it. But in this case, what purpose does the negative space serve?

Good set of pics though. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing one of your audio slideshows. I too have one rattling around in the back of my mind, but it will be a few months before I can do it. I live in a little fishing village in the north of Scotland and I want to do an audio slideshow about the life of people who are still trying to earn money from fishing.

Anonymous said...

Number three is definitely the best. Beautiful!

I love the drama of beauty pageants! I think you captured some of it in those photos. :)

Neemah said...

Nice job. I like # 1 and 3 the best. Did you get the "Oh My God I Can't Belive I Won!" expression with tear when the girl won? I can't wait to hear some of the sound bites from this event.

Aditya Bhelke said...

Hey, really cool pics. Love the theme, and would love to hear the audio too.

Andrew Smith said...

WOW Michael!!

The four individual photos you posted don't even begin to do justice to the great work you did covering this event! Absolutely brilliant slideshow! Brilliant brilliant brilliant!!

Granted I've not watched a huge number of audio slideshows but yours is the best so far. It really raises the bar. Crucially I felt that it showed me the whole event but it wasn't too long. Great work combining the background sounds with the selected quotes. Most slideshows I've seen have a commentary by a reporter which moves them more towards being an editorial piece with accompanying pictures, but I think your way of doing it is miles better.

I'd be over the moon if I came away from an event with so many stunning photos.

I'm really, really impressed.

Melissa said...

michael, you did a great job with the slideshow!

MikeyG said...

Hi Michael,

My humble opinion is that I love No.3... She's got some good, strong emotion showing through as she is "waiting for her moment".