Thursday, January 11, 2007

Black (& White) Church

If you have never been to a predominately black Baptist church before, you are missing out.

When I used to work in Wyoming as a religion/military writer and photographer, there was this one traditionally black church I was absolutely in love with. Every other week I would make excuses as to why I needed to be at their service. A story on how people dress these days for church? I've got to go to Second Baptist Church for that. A story about the lack of interest in the priesthood? Surely the folks at Second Baptist have an opinion. An enterprise piece on the Mormon church in Wyoming? There's only one place to start...well, the Mormon church, but it's off to Second Baptist right after.

This isn't Second Baptist, but the spirit, joy and strong faith was all there. And just for fun, the photos are in dramatic black and white. Sort of.







3 comments:

GT said...

The first one's my favorite. I think it's the kid's tie.

Ken said...

Long Live Black and White. (even sort of black and white).

Mark M. Hancock said...

I love the isolation of one color, but I can't bring myself to do it for publication. There's the nagging "illustration or not" argument. I understand it's the same image whether it's color, B&W or both, but readers may not.