Monday, January 08, 2007

Fallen Heroes

Addrin Adams, 6 of Waco, Texas, sits in father Marks Adam's arms during a memorial service for Adam's big brother, Army Spc. Jeffrey Paul Shaffer at the Fallen Heroes Living Memorial in front of the Town Center in Fayetteville. Shaffer, who joined the military while living in Harrison, Ark., was killed on Sept. 13, 2006, while serving in Iraq.

This little kid was breaking my heart. He was at some points indifferent, but mostly somber. I probably shot 50 frames of this kid sitting in his father's arms, but there was something so visually arresting about the photo of him in a dead stare looking back at me.

I don't know what was more sad. The boy who misses his brother now, or the 2-year-old daughter who will never know her dad. She is just staring at her grandmother in this photo, obviously not understanding why she is crying.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Wow... what incredibly moving pictures. The little girl looking at her grandma is heartbreaking. Actually, they all are. I've been meaning to drop by to say thanks for reading my blog and to say what a big fan I am of your photography. I work in the journalism business myself, so I know great photos when I see them. (Of course, that doesn't mean I can take them...) These are definitely the real thing.