Saturday, February 17, 2007

Broyles Blues (or Frank Faux Pas)

So today the University of Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles announced he plans to retire after 50 years of service. Unless you live in the state, you probably don't think its a big deal. But here in Arkansas people can't get enough of the drama that has been Arkansas athletics in the last few months.



I was the only photographer from my newspaper, but the competition was out in full force. Here three of their photographers, Mike Woods, Dan Hale and Paul Rutherford, talk about how much they schooled me.

Like any good drama, the event was well scripted and even had some surprise guests. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones showed up to lend his support. Apparently he and Broyles go way back. By the way, I so sat in Jerry Jones' chair when it was all over.

Overall I didn't think I did that bad. I'll admit I didn't have my A game, but I was happy with what I had. Until I got back to the office.
I thought this photo, with Broyles kind of laughing at stories about himself, was a nice moment. When I showed it to my editor, he was less excited about it. Much less.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

you brought your A game, perhaps the editors weren't ready for it.