Friday, February 23, 2007

A Walk in the Park

I'll admit that nature really isn't my thing. I enjoy a beautiful day, but I can enjoy it just as well sitting behind a shaded plate of glass in a climate-controlled environment. Obviously today I didn't have that luxury. I was out on a mini nature hike with two older guys as they talked about how they hoped to buy 14 acres of private, wooded land in the middle of the city and turn it into a public nature preserve.

I rolled my eyes at the thought at first. There seems to a lot of groups in the area doing the same thing. Do we really need another one? But after touring around the place all morning, I started coming around. The area was quite lovely. It would be a shame for it all to be turned into another group of over-priced condos.

Overall the little hike wasn't bad. The only negative was when the old guy guiding me and a reporter took us up a steep embankment. We had kind of zig zaged our way down to the little pond and meadow, but to get back the guy charged straight up an endlessly high hill. About half way up I thought about calling quits, rolling back down in defeat and finding my own way out. But I was not going to let some retired older man put me to shame. Maybe I do need to get outside more.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

glad you see the light