Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pageant Portraits

Just call me Mr. Beauty Pageant. On second thought, don't.

I was assigned to shoot my third pageant in as many months, and I really wanted to do something different. Part of my motivation was me wanting to do really good work, another part of it was just not wanting to shoot another pageant. The result, a behind the scenes mix of portraits that I really liked.

My plan was to grab girls in various states of getting ready and take a nice portrait of them. Here, a contestant practices singing with a CD player before the talent competition.
My set up was kind of tight. I set my backdrop right at the end of a hallway that T-ed with the main hallway the girls used when they walked from the dressing room to the stage. I wanted to be close enough to grab them on the go, but not right in the middle of a high traffic area. I kind of sprung this idea on the pageant director a few hours before the start, and she wasn't all that keen on it. I convinced her to let me set up, but she was very unsure about having me back there.
Occaisonally I would turn my soft box around 180 degrees and sniper the girls as they walked back and forth in the main hallway to change clothes. I made a mini backdrop and set it up in the hall to keep the photos somewhat uniform looking.
At one point one of the girls turned and looked right at me as she walked by. She was framed perfectly on the small backdrop. I love her position and her face. She nailed it.


Before I came to the pageant with a car full of lighting equipment, I sketched a few things out just to be safe. I'm not always the most creative on the fly, so I wanted to make sure I had a few ideas in my head. It's not uncommon for me do this, but I was surprised how some of my sketches translated almost exactly in the camera. That almost never happens.

A few more examples:
The sketch
The result
The sketch
The result
The sketch
The result
It was a long night, but I thought I came out with some nice images. I was really glad some of the girls were really open to the idea. Some more than others. Overall I had a good time, but I really hope I've shot my last pageant for a while.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

Michael, you realize that since you've done another fabulous job with this pageant the morning news will assign you to cover more. Next time, take it easy; shoot them when they lose. I want to see tears of sadness, not joy.

Anonymous said...

I really, really like these. I think they are way better than they had to be. Nice. =D

Ken said...

Awesome job!
We have a Beauty Pageant here in Madison each year as a forerunner to our Regatta hydroplane races.

I thought I had done a decent job until saw your different pageant posts.

Ken

Neemah said...

I really like the close-up face portrait and the shot of the girls back.

One criticism: you've got a seam in your seamless backdrop! What's up with that? Pull that baby out more from the wall.

Have fun on your 16 hour drive to Vandy.