Friday, February 02, 2007

Half Baked

I loved this photo. Apparently I was the only one.

The sports department played it safe (or sane) and ran this instead. Neither are anything extraordinary or ground breaking, but the split vertical was different and kind of cool looking. I like it, and will probably try it again.

So last night I went to the John Mayer concert. It was good times, I guess. I had intended to take pictures and gather audio to share on my blog, but my poorly conceived plan was thwarted. They didn't let me in with my camera at the door, and I apparently don't know how to use the camera on my phone. I figured I could at least get some bootleg audio from the show. My MP3 player doubles as a voice recorder, but the mic on it is a little too sensitive so the tracks are just one big audio clipping nightmare.

So just enjoy this song I intended to post. If you want the live effect I heard last night, play it at full volume in your bathroom and sit and listen to it from down the hall.

Slow Dancing In A Burning Room.mp3
by John Mayer

4 comments:

Ken said...

I like the first shot too.

If I really want a photo played I don't give options. Sometimes the editor will gripe, but at least we push some boundries :)

Then again, You don't want to make the editor gripe too often — what with job security and all.

Ken

Robbie Hammer said...

I like the split vert better also. Should get Spencer to fight a little...Just kidding.

Andrew Smith said...

"I like it, and will probably try it again."

Good for you! We've got to do the shots that we want to do. Okay so do the safeties too but don't be afraid to only send your own choice. I just did that with a picture I like (that one of the Berserker on my site) and although I keep feeling tempted to send one of the safe shots I haven't broken down yet. I have no idea what the editor thinks of the shot I sent as for some reason she didn't reply to my e-mail on Friday. Probably not a good sign :-)

Anne said...

Michael-

You inspired me to get a ticket to the John Mayer show in Madison on Valentine's Day. Thanks for that! Don't worry about the pix and the audio. Live music is meant to be experienced in the moment - it doesn't hold up well to captivity.

BTW, I totally agree about the vertical split. Much cooler shot.