Saturday, June 02, 2007

City Limit Saturday

I hadn't really intended to include this group in my lineup of Austin City Limits musicians. I'm not even sure I will actually see them when it comes time for the big music festival in the fall. This Swedish threesome, however, caught my attention with a pretty catchy little song. Some online buzz over the past week courtesy of Kayne West didn't hurt their cause either.

The group has put out three albums since forming in 1999. Their most recent album, "Writer's Block," is starting to grow on me, mostly because of their lead single, "Young Folks." I'm not crazy about Peter Morén's voice, but there's something wonderfully listless about the delivery in this song. I've become quite addicted. The chorus is so damn catchy, and the whistling constantly gets stuck in my head. It apparently caught the attention of Kanye West as well, who used the song in a recent mixtape. Kanye's version is kind of a mess, but it's interesting to see a rap artist draw inspiration from something so foreign.

Preview Tracks: Young Folks.mp3, Objects of My Affection.mp3
Bonus Tracks: Young Folks (Kayne West Mixtape), Young Folks (Datashat Remix)
Artist Website: peterbjorandjohn.com
Hear More Music: PB&J's MySpace, The Hype Machine
Buy Music: Writer's Block, Falling Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know, uh, regina spektor is playing ACL?

Just thought I'd let you know. ;)