Friday, June 08, 2007

Reluctant Parent

I get to be a foster parent this summer. My former roommate/current landlord Jeff is going to study abroad this summer as part of his law school curriculum, so I agreed to watch his dog. I honestly don't mind taking care of his dog, "Boo." She's great, very well behaved and can catch a Frisbee like nobodies business. The problem, however, is "Luby."

Jeff decided to take in a stray dog a week before he departed for Ireland. That means my doggy-sitting duties just doubled. What's worse, this new dog doesn't like me, is very camera shy and has the unfortunate name of Luby. Who names a male dog Luby?
I don't fault Jeff on his first dog's name. Boo came to him already named. The name Luby, however, is not going to fly. So I've decided to rename the thing Radley (You know, as in Boo Radley, from "To Kill A Mockingbird." I thought it was clever). He already responds to Luby, so I think I might try introducing the new name slowly. I'll start out calling him Ludy for a few days, then Rudy, then Rady and then finally switch over to Radley. Hey, I've got all summer.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

great plan :D

Z-Man said...

I concur, Luby is a stupid name for a dog. I told jeff this and suggested better namse such as Jack, Jake, Bo.... and for the record Boscoe also came pre-named.