Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Going Postal

So last night I had planned on blogging some images from a Sept. 11 memorial I attended. After I shot it I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped to be with my images, but planned to post something anyway just to keep me honest.

Then the digital Gods intervened. Half way through another assignment my card stopped working. I thought the card was just full (I shot football on it the other night and figured I must have forgot to reformat). I switched cards, shot the last few frames of an assignment and went back to the office.

There I found out the disk wasn't full, but damaged. The computer couldn't read the disk and our substandard image recovery software had found nothing after about an hour. I was angered.

So I called the news desk to let them know. They seemed pretty uninterested. Apparently they thought the event had been cancelled and weren't expecting photos. When they got the story they just layed it out with no photos, so hearing there were no photos for the story was a relief because now they wouldn't have to redesign their pages. Glad I could help I guess.

But you're not going away empty handed. I have some new music for you.

Well, it's not new, but new to me. The Postal Service is a side project for Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard. He and some other even less famous guy put out the CD in 2003. They also do a lot of unimpressive remixes of random songs. Despite that, I had heard one of their songs, Such Great Heights, on some random blog and loved it. There is also a cover version by a group called Iron and Wine, which was featured on the Garden State soundtrack and that trippy M&M commercial with the waves of colorful candy.

While I had fully intended on checking out their complete CD, I hadn't picked it up until last week. It is fantastic. Here's a sampling of some of the highlights. Enjoy.

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.mp3
We Will Become Silhouettes.mp3
Natural Anthem.mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you've discovered this gem. This album is definitely in my top 10 for the last 5 years. It never gets old.