Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Walking in Memphis

There are a couple of things I've learned in the last few days:

1) It is harder than I thought to find a reliable wireless connection. Either that or my computer sucks
2) My computer sucks
3) I'm not that big a fan of Elvis, BBQ or even blues music
4) I over tip like crazy
5) $350 is nothing if you plan on staying in a hotel for four nights. For the next week beds, showers and continental breakfasts are so overrated as far as I'm concerned.

I've made my way to Memphis, Tenn. After a quick stop at an art museum (they didn't let me take pictures AND the photography exhibits listed in their brochures were both closed- why do they hate me?), I headed downtown.

That's where I met this man. I forgot what his real name is (Ernest maybe), but he said everybody calls him "Shine." Obviously because he goes around downtown shining the business man's shoes all day. I like the top photo, as Shine is greeting one of his loyal customers. Its got a very haves-and-have-nots kinda feel. Although Shine said he makes over $100 a day shining shoes, so I'm not too worried about him.

In addition to letting me follow him around for a bit, Shine also lead me over to Beale Street. Lots of bars, lots of BBQ, lots of blues music, and lots of gift shops with merchandise stamped with pictures of pigs, guitars and Elvis heads.

But I wanted a photo of something kind of clean from Beale Street, something more artsy and pretentious. There was this pub with great green shutters against an orange wall that I loved. At first I just shot it with no people, but I thought it looked too artsy and pretentious, so I added tourists to it.

But don't worry, there's still artsy and pretentious photos to be had. I give you some dramatic black and whites.

Memphis is alright, but I don't think I'll spend much more time here. I saw a couple of road signs on the interstate for cities I might have a little more fun in. Where I go next just depends on how far I want to drive I guess. Where every I go, I'm definitely not waking up in Memphis tomorrow. And I'm probably not going to wake up in a bed either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike call paul at 872-5118 re: sdale football photos from 1st week of season 9-1-06

Anonymous said...

Michael--I can't believe you didn't even say goodbye to me! And what about Buffalo Wild Wings! I'm so hurt. I think you hate me. Have fun in Memphis.

Anonymous said...

Mom thought you were dead, btw.

Wonderful publicity stunt to get people to read your blog though. I hope you're having a good time. Call me when you get back so you can tell me about your spiritual journey, and I'll tell you about my dirty (read: dirrrty) little adventures as well. *tee hee* =)

-JOE