Monday, September 04, 2006

Pig Foooie!

Razorback fans scare me.

Anyone that would resort to covering their body in paint and actually scream "Pig Soooie" from the top of their lungs to support (rather than mock) a team clearly has issues. I hate the Hog call. I hate huge crowds of people. I really hate huge crowds of people doing the Hog call. It was so loud on the field I thought my head was going to explode.

That being said, there were a few things I enjoyed about shooting the first University of Arkansas football game. First, they lost. Badly. And I get an odd satisfaction when I see sad Razorback fans moping about after a nice hard defeat. ("Yes! Oh, let me taste your tears, Scott! Your tears are so yummy and sweet! Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness...")

Second, young football star Mitch Mustain got a rousing ovation when he was finally put in the game, then went on to score a touchdown. While I try not to get attached to photo subjects, people I meet on the job or just people in general, I've grown fond of this Mustain kid after covering him during his high school campaign. I hope he does well.

And third, I finally got a little head-to-head slide show action. I like working at a newspaper in a competitive market. While I get to see what photos our competition comes up with when we shoot the same event, I've never been able to compare audio/photo slide shows. These slide shows are new to both papers, and this is the first time we've made one at the same event. While they had one photographer dedicated solely to making their slide show (my excuse), I gathered sound on the fly while shooting the entire game for the next days paper.

You can compare and contrast by seeing The Morning News slide show here, and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette slide show here.

No comments: