Friday, October 13, 2006

Gellin' Like A Felon

Why did I ever stop using gels in the first place?

I remember there was a period last year where I was the Magellan of the photo staff, using colored gels on every sports portrait I shot each week. It was admittedly a bit overkill, which may have been why I stopped, but I thought the result was always nice.

Now this isn't the greatest sports portrait in the world, but it's world's better than the ones I have been shooting lately. The difference? Gels of course. Not only does it force you to use a second light (always a plus), but it totally turns a boring background into something cool and interesting.

It also didn't hurt that I actually thought about and planned out my lighting scheme before I went to shoot the portrait. Imagine that. Not that I don't think about portraits before I shoot them. I always try and plan ahead, but I rarely have a chance to test them out or get feedback before the fact. Photographer extraordinaire Zac Lehr, seen here, graciously posed for me in the photo room and gave me a little input.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate you for not taking a picture of me that looks that good. PHOTOGRAPH MEEEEEEE!!!!! >:(