Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fall Foliage on the Fly

It is very much fall here in Northwest Arkansas. I've shot photos of fall color several times in the last few days. I've probably overshot it at this point, but it's not going to be around for much longer so I might as well take advantage of it.

With this photo I wanted something where color was the main attraction and the person was secondary. At first I wished the woman in the photo had been bigger in the frame, but I kind of like how quiet the photo becomes with the woman so small compared to the trees.

I framed this a couple of different ways before I decided on this angle. I've been trying to think differently when I shoot, which is why I shot the next picture.

This photo is my attempt to channel Richard Sintchak. I'm not sure how successful I was, but you know what they say about imitation. If you haven't visited his site, Shooting on the Fly, I highly recommend that you do. It is such a great concept for a blog. His photography is very different than what I shoot, but it's so good. I really like seeing what he comes up with everyday.

So once your finished visiting Richard's blog, I have more music for you. A few weeks ago I wrote a little something about The Postal Service. I didn't know much about them other than half of the duo is the lead singer from Death Cab For Cutie, Ben Gibbard. Well, the other day a co-worker who read my blog loaned me a CD of the guy that makes up the other half of The Postal Service.

So I took a break (just a little one) from the continuous "Continuum" loop I've been on, and I gave Dntel (aka Jimmy Tamborello) a listen. It was interesting. Some of it was good, and some of it was just odd. It's kind of atmospheric, electronic music, which can sometimes take time to build. You can really hear how much influence Dntel had on The Postal Service. Overall I liked it, but its definitely something you put on the background while reading or something. Here are a couple of notable tracks:

Fear of Corners.mp3 by Dntel
Fireworks.mp3 by Dntel

And Ben Gibbard makes an appearance on (This Is) The Dream Of Evan And Chan.mp3

2 comments:

Melissa said...

By the way, John Mayer is going to be in Fayetteville Feb. 1 at Barnhill Arena. tickets go on sale Dec. 1 @ ticketmaster. And yes, Dntel is def. background music. Glad you enjoyed some of the tracks.

Robbie Hammer said...

Nice stuff Michael. Nice pretty colors and nice moments in general. Even your cute little kid shots are good. Ahhhh, life at a community newspaper, gotta love it.