Saturday, October 14, 2006

Shopping For CDs (or why I don't buy CDs)

So the other day I went CD shopping. I (finally) got some birthday money in the form of a Target gift card, and I was dead set on picking up some new music. I've had my eye on a few CDs I've kind of wanted for a while. I didn't want them enough to buy them on my own, but enough to buy them with free CD money.

Armed with my Target gift card, I headed straight to Barnes and Noble. That's where I go to listen to and preview all my music, but I never buy. Why pay an extra $5 at Barnes and Noble when Target and Wal-Mart have the same CD at an everyday low price?

Anyway, here are some of the highlights (and lowlights) that I found while I was out:

"The Dutchess" by Fergie

Don't laugh. I didn't buy this. Don't judge me.

That said, I've had a morbid curiosity about this CD since that damn London Bridge song came out. When I first heard it I thought the song was an annoying mess, but sadly the continuous radio play and trampy video wore away at my musical taste. It's the same thing that happened with that damn Nelly Furtado song over the summer. It's like musical candy...sweet, sticky, slutty candy that will only make you sick if you consume too much. While I made the mistake of buying Ms. Furtado's CD, I saved myself from the same fate here. Besides, there's only one song worth anything on this CD. I swear, sometimes my musical tastes too closely resemble that of a 13-year-old girl.

London Bridge.mp3



"A Beautiful Lie" by 30 Seconds to Mars

Speaking of underage teens, this CD was recommended to me by an actual 13-year-old girl. I scored coolness points with her because I had heard of the band before, but I'm sure I quickly lost them all when she found out how old I was.

The CD isn't that bad. Their single is pretty radio friendly, but the CD has too much of an angsty, "I'm only listening to this because I'm mad at my parents" kind of vibe. Plus I'm not sure how I feel about a band fronted by pretty-boy actor and wanna-be rocker Jared Leto. It does, however, have a really cool Bjork cover as one of the hidden tracks. I'm not a huge Bjork fan, but the song is worth a listen.

Hunter.mp3



"The Eraser" by Thom Yorke

I never really got into Radiohead (that's blasphemy in some musical circles). But when their lead singer ventured out on his own for this solo CD, I thought it might be worth a listen. It's actually kind of cool, very moody, electronic and minimalistic. The track below, The Clocks, really drew me in.

I think I might like this CD. If that's true, maybe I'd like Radiohead if I gave them a fair chance. A lot of bands I already listen to are often compared to Radiohead. Part of the reason I never got into them is because I kind of disowned popular music during the time they started making a name for themselves. I was too busy listen to Yanni CDs in the back of a school bus on the way to marching band competitions to be concerned with Radio Head.

The Clocks.mp3


"Live: The Concert Event" by Yanni

Speaking of Yanni, can you believe this guy is still making CDs? Who is buying these? More importantly, who is going to these live Yanni concerts, making it possible for him to make another live CD?

I'll admit, 1994's "Live at the Acropolis" was a defining musical experience for me. And as I learned from attending the Immigration rallies earlier this year, Hispanics love Yanni, so I'm not alone. But I'm kind of over all that.

I didn't really consider buying this, but I was kind of tickled that it was there. And it was kind of nice to reminisce when I saw that some of my former favorite songs made it on his latest live set. Yes, I just blogged about Yanni. The nerdy 9th-grade trombone player in me sends his regards.

Nostalgia.mp3


"Break Out The Battle Tapes" by Wired All Wrong

What-the-what, by the who? That's what I thought. I had never heard of them before I saw their CD out for preview. It was a random selection, but it sounded really different and cool. I didn't buy it (they didn't have it at Target), but I seriously may go back and pick it up. Maybe there is a reason to shop at Barnes and Noble.

You're Freaking Me Out Girl.mp3

15 Minutes.mp3


"The Last Kiss: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" by Various Artists

The movie "Garden State" was a great film and had a superior soundtrack. With a collection of songs put together by Zach Braff, the soundtrack introduced me to some great artists I had never heard of, such as Frou Frou (Imogen Heap), Nick Drake and The Shins.

Now that Zach is out with another movie and another hand-picked soundtrack, I was excited to see what new artists I would meet. Unfortunately it's a lot of the same. The "Garden State" soundtrack so directed my musical tastes that much of what is on this new soundtrack I am already know about or own. Here are a couple of my favorites from the new soundtrack. I really like the Snow Patrol. The more of their music I hear, the more I like them. Maybe I should pick up their CD.

Chocolate.mp3 by Snow Patrol

Paper Bag.mp3 by Fiona Apple


"Continuum" by John Mayer

Being that my blog is named after a John Mayer song (Room For Square's 3x5), I of course was very interested in checking out his new CD.

He's always had a bluesy-groove kind of feel to some of his music, but he really revels in that sound with his latest release. All of his songs were good, but overall there wasn't a track that made me excited about the CD as a whole. I still might go back and pick this up because I'm sure I'd enjoy it. For now I'll just let these two roll around in my head.

Waiting on the World to Change.mp3


Vultures.mp3


So in the end, what I really should have asked for was an itunes gift card. I'll know better next time. But for now I've got a great mix CD that should hold me over until the new Damien Rice CD comes out next month. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should definitely check out some radiohead. you'll like em.

never heard the WAW before. not bad.