Friday, October 20, 2006

What? Me? Oh My Gawd!

So today I was assigned to shoot the crowning of a local high school's homecoming queen. Oddly, even though a police officer was shot in our area today, the news desk editor assured me they wanted this photo to be the dominant element in tomorrow's paper.

I wasn't super excited about it, but as it turned out there was some nice evening light and I think I got a decent photo. As far as crownings go, I mean.






"What? Me? Oh My Gawd!"






What was funny about this was the identity of the queen was a secret, not to be announced until all the girls were lined up on the field (for optimal embarrassment for the losers). I had wanted to get something candid of the queen before hand, so while I hung out with the candidates in the staging area I managed to get one of the teachers to tell me the winner's name. I didn't want to give away who the winner was, so I ended up shooting a bunch of random, often out of focus shots of the "losers" getting ready as well, just to keep up the charade.

At one point I caught one of the girls off guard. She said something about if she wins I couldn't use that photo. Don't worry, I thought, you won't win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me, and I have no idea who you are and the only reason I'm on this page is because i wanted to listen to that one song "Be Be Your Love" that you have on this page. But as i was listeing i was reading your blogg and you sound like you have a interesting life. So your a photographer. Thats awesome thats one of the many things i want to be when i am older and graduate! So it looks like you have fun doing your job and I hope that when i become a photographer i can have just as much fun as you do! Good luck in future pictures! Yours are great!